Truck Driving Licenses and Training

To be a truck driver, individuals must have a commercial driver's license (CDL). Nearly all truck driving schools offer preparation to take the state CDL exam through classroom instruction and on-the-road training.

Truck drivers can test for three classes of licenses:

  • Class A: Class A licenses are required for vehicle combinations with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of greater than 26,000 pounds that is towed by a vehicle with a GVWR in excess of 10,000 pounds. Class A drivers are able to operate class B and C vehicles as well.
  • Class B: Class B licenses are required for a single vehicle unit with a GVWR greater than 26,000 pounds, as well as for any vehicle towing another vehicle that is not in excess of 10,000 pounds. Class B drivers may operate class C vehicles as well.
  • Class C: Class C licenses are required for a single or combination vehicle that is designed for the transportation of 16 or more people, or one that is used to transport hazardous materials.

Endorsements are complementary to licenses:

  • Endorsement G: Government
  • Endorsement H: Hazardous materials
  • Endorsement N: Tanker vehicle
  • Endorsement P: Bus passenger
  • Endorsement S: School bus
  • Endorsement T: Double and triple trailers
  • Endorsement X: Combination hazardous materials and tanker

Aspiring truck drivers should be sure to seek out a CDL training program that includes work with the particular class and/or endorsement they will need to start a successful career.

Related Articles